You cannot copy content of this page

MDC Appeal Against Police Prohibition Order Dismissed

The Bulawayo Magistrates Court has dismissed the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) appeal to have the police prohibition order against their planned protest set aside.

The MDC approached the Bulawayo Magistrates Court challenging the police prohibition order which they said was against the constitution of Zimbabwe.

In issuing the Prohibition Notice, Officer Commanding Bulawayo Central District, Chief Superintendent Elizabeth Phiri, cited cases of violence which were reported along Luveve Road last Friday during which roads were barricaded with tree branches and rocks.

Commenting outside the Bulawayo Magistrates Courts, MDC secretary for Legal Affairs Innocent Gonese vowed to continue with countrywide protests saying their rights cannot be suppressed.

“The people of Zimbabwe have got every right to exercise the rights which are protected by the constitution and we believe that those rights cannot be suppressed,” said Gonese.

He added that the party will proceed with protests as it is a right accorded to every Zimbabwean citizen.

Last week Friday, police issued a prohibition order against another MDC demonstration that had been scheduled for Harare and an appeal at the High Court was referred to the Magistrates Court.

As part of its RELOAD policy document, the MDC said they would put pressure on the Zanu PF government to address the deteriorating economic situation that has seen prices of basic commodities going up by over 500 percent against a stagnant civil service salary structure.

Meanwhile the MDC Chairperson Thabitha Khumalo and six others who were arrested yesterday while they were conducting door-to-door mobilisation ahead of the Bulawayo protest have been granted RTGS$200 bail.

They have been remanded to September 3.

error: Content is protected !!