We, the participants, in the African Higher Education Summit on Revitalizing Higher Education for Africa’s Future, gathered in Dakar, Senegal on March 10 -12, 2015, confirm our commitment to the objective of creating a continental multi-stakeholders’ platform to identify strategies for transforming the African higher education sector.
Organizers of the Summit
The government of Senegal served as the host of the summit. The summit was organized by several key pan-African organizations: TrustAfrica, African Union Commission (AUC), Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), United Nations Africa Institute for Development and Economic Planning (IDEP), Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA), Association of African Universities (AAU), and the African Development Bank (AfDB). The Government of Senegal served as the host. The National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa joined the summit consortium. Summit international partners are the Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY), MasterCard Foundation, and the World Bank.
Structure and Participants
The Summit was highly interactive, allowing exchange of experiences and views among participants. It consisted of plenary and parallel sessions over three consecutive days. It was attended by over 500 participants drawn from the following stakeholders:
- Governments, including several Presidents, Prime Ministers, and Ministers of Education, Science and Technology, Commerce and Finance.
- Academics and administrators of higher education institutions
- Academic and non-academic unions
- Students associations – such as the All Africa Students Union (AASU)
- Employers and business leaders from the public and private sectors
- Donors – foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies
- Families and citizens
Please download the Summit Draft Declaration and Action Plan final – Summit-Declaration-and-Action-Plan-final10-May-5-2015-version